Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008-Day1

Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday. I love the fact that the meaning hasn't been lost in an over-commercialized rush, like Christmas. (I think I've actually begun to relish the fact that most stores skip over Thanksgiving all together.) I love the fact that we slow down, appreciate God's goodness in our lives, spend a weekend at my parents' house laughing with family, playing games, and eating GREAT food. What could be better than that?

We drove down to my parents' house on Wednesday night so we could wake up in their house on Thanksgiving day. The kids had so much fun playing with their cousins all morning. Titus couldn't wait for Ryan to arrive so he could "pound" him! (Picture his 14-year-old cousin picking him up over his shoulder and throwing him on the couch...then pretending to do WWF wrestling moves on him.) I wonder if he'll ever outgrow that? :) I doubt it.

Erin, Justus, and Sheridan on Mimi's swing.
Richard (my brother) and I enjoying Mom's homemade soup for lunch. We are 7 years apart in age, but I think I look like the big-haired, make-uped version of him. Do you think we look alike? He has curly hair and there are some junior high pictures floating around to prove it!
Playing Apples To Apples.
Richard & Jennifer's family.
Sheridan, Erin, and Audra waiting on the front steps for the Riners to arrive.
Mimi & Gramps--We all love you so much, Mom and Dad. Thank you for your commitment to each other and to us all these years.
The whole family.

My favorite photo! This is Ben's sorority girl pose...which is a perfect representation of his personality and hilarious sense of humor. Later at dinner, we announced that after dinner we were going to have time for everyone to share what they were the most thankful for this year. Ben immediately raised his hand and announced, "I call 'Jesus.'" The room erupted and I giggled about that for three days. He has such quick wit.
Mimi and Gramps with all the grandkids.
My other favorite! Dad putting the finishing touch on his mashed potatoes.
The Feast! This picture really doesn't do it justice. The food was awesome. We had Smoked Ham, Lemon Pepper Turkey, Cornbread Dressing, Gramps' Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Asian Slaw Salad, Veggie & Avocado Salad, Hashbrown Casserole, Bread, Sweet Potato Casserole, and then two tables full of desserts! My brother actually made a chocolate pecan pie that was AWESOME! (He was inspired when he saw Emeril on Good Morning America.) Mother, what was the name of that heavenly dessert that you made? Mmmm.

After dinner we had a sweet family time of reflecting on God's goodness in our lives this past year. I loved having time to hear every one's heart and was especially touched by the things that my teenage nieces and nephews shared. Ben shared that he had a "God experience" this summer at camp that really challenged him in new ways. He then ran for VP of Student Council this Fall and shared his faith in God in his video-taped speech. In it he asked Christians in the Student Body to be bold and take a stand (literally stand up) for Christ. His principal made him edit much of his speech, but he was still able to deliver the point of his message. The word spread throughout the student body and many students stood up throughout his speech. That is the thing that courageous leaders are made of. I admire his boldness tremendously.

My other nephew, Ryan, plays quarterback for his junior high football team. The boy loves sports and LOVES football. They have football practice every morning before school and during first period. This Fall, his church youth group planned to meet before school one Monday morning for the national "See You At The Pole" to pray. His football couch announced that, just like any other practice, if players skipped practice to go to "See You At The Pole" they would not be allowed to play in Friday night's game. (The coach thought they would use it as an excuse to skip practice.) This was a tremendously difficult decision for Ryan. He knew it was important to take a stand for his faith, but he didn't want to be benched for the game. He went to talk to the coach. In the end, the coach respected Ryan's convictions so much that he allowed the entire team to go and went down there with them.

I am so thankful for the example that my brother and sister have been to me in the way that they have raised their children...and I am enormously thankful that these are the cousins that my children have to play with, laugh with, watch, and admire. Thank you.

The adults and big kids finished the evening off by playing Apples to Apples late into the night. I'm so thankful to have such a fun family that enjoys being togehter!

To Be Continued...

4 comments:

Megan said...

Sounds like a great time! What a beautiful family.

And I love the part about "I call Jesus," SO funny!

Unknown said...

these are great...i love the different colored shirts....you do have a beautiful family...more beautiful to know how God has worked miracles......i love how proud Titus looked in all his pictures....such a big boy.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you blogged! I've seriously been going through grandkid withdrawal! I have told you this before and want to re-emphasize it! I am ETERNALLY grateful to God for bringing Scott into your family. I love the loving, fun fellowship,the examples of living a daily faith, the encouragement to grow and stand for one's faith....We are blessed by having our son and grandchildren be so blessed with such great "other" parents and grandparents! We look forward to seeing you all SOON!

Unknown said...

Hey,
I will probably NEVER run out of poundings! haha