Saturday, January 24, 2009

"OJR"

I've started working on phonics with Audra and today she was piddling with the magnetic letters on the fridge while I was making dinner (Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup...mmmmm). She walked over to me, put her hands on her hips, and proclaimed, "Mommy, Audra doesn't start with A. Audra starts with O."

Then she chanted back to me, "O says 'o' like Odra!"

Then she corrected me, "A says 'a' like apple."

Giggling and impressed by her logic, I tried to explain that Au says "o" like Audra.

She didn't buy it. Then she went over to the refrigerator and put her logic puzzle together: "OJR."

"Mommy, look."

"OJR spells Audra," she explained and sounded out for me, "Not A-U-D-R-A!"

It's finally clicking! She's getting it...but if we have another baby, please remind me to give him/her a name that is spelled phonetically.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am delighted to hear Audra is really thinking about sounds. It won't be long til she is reading stories to her little brother.

I'm so glad you are blogging again. I've missed you!

Renae Burt said...

Very cute....

Unknown said...

I am very impressed with OJR's logic. :)

Shankle Life said...

I'm learning daily that living in the South is making "sound it out" a little more difficult! (Sawyer wants to write "The Ind" instead of End...he keeps telling me that I'm the one who isn't listening to how it sounds!)

Ashley said...

Well, at least it isn't the Deep South. Then it would be "Thee Eeind." :)

Anonymous said...

Great story and "Thee eeind" is too funny.