Saturday, April 4, 2009

Gramps' Potato Salad

I made my Dad's pototo salad for Finley Neufeld's Backyard Birthday Party this afternoon. It also happens to be the best potato salad on the planet. In my family my Dad is famous for five things: his homegrown tomatoes, his fabulous breakfasts, his homemade ice cream, his mashed potatoes, and this potato salad recipe:

Gramps’ Potato Salad
Serves 15-20 Adults

5 lbs. red potatoes
6-8 eggs
1 red onion
1 lemon, juiced
6-8 large kosher pickles
¼ cup Italian Dressing
2-3 cups Kraft mayonnaise
2 T. salt
1-2 T. pepper

Directions:
Wash potatoes. Put potatoes and eggs in large pot. Cover with water. Bring to boil. Turn down and simmer for about 20 minutes. Test potatoes with fork to be sure they are tender. While this is cooking, dice onions and pickles and marinate in the Italian Dressing and lemon juice (I add 1-2 T of pickly juice, too) in the same bowl that the salad is to be mixed. Dice potatoes and eggs and add to top of vegetables. Salt and pepper generously, then stir. Add mayo and stir all ingredients together. Taste to decide amount of mayonnaise. Refrigerate. (I think it tastes best if you can refrigerate it for a couple of hours before you serve it.) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sandy Bjorkman said...

Hmmmm...I just may have to try this out. Sounds yummy!
PS only 44 days til SUNSHINE!