Let's be real. I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant and I'm miserable. It almost feels like a sin to write that, but it is true. I'm typically able to see the positive angle and put a smile on, no matter how difficult things are. Not these days. I really just want to crawl in bed and avoid people...and standing up. (Any of you who know me remotely well know how odd this is.)
This pregnancy has been so different from my other three. I typically enjoy being pregnant (until the last 2-3 weeks). This one has been very difficult. My iron levels have been low, leaving me with unusual fatigue. I've already gained 50 pounds and I still have four weeks to go. I have no idea why. I've never gained more than 42 pounds and that was when Titus arrived 13 days past his due date. My profile seriously looks like I have a watermelon attached to the front of me. Not a basketball--a watermelon. Everywhere I go, people stare and ask if I was due last week or if I'm carrying twins. I feel pretty good when I first wake up, but my body is done after about 2-3 hours. Then everything begins to hurt and swell. Seriously. By about 10 a.m., I'm wondering if it is almost bedtime. I feel like I am living in a stranger's body.
There are toys, clothes, and shoes strewn all over my house. Six loads of laundry are waiting for me in the bathroom. There are dirty dishes in the sink from dinner. Yesterday's dinner. I haven't made a "real" dinner in well over a month and I'm starved for one. (I'm so thankful for a husband who will say, "It's okay. Let's just go out to eat." or "I'll just grill some hamburgers." or "We can just eat turkey sandwiches.) And the thought of it makes me cry.
I tried to take my kids to the park this morning, but ended up on the bench watching them play. It hurt too much to stand for long. So, I asked Titus if he would help and push his little brother. I'm so thankful for a son who would happily stop his game and run over to push his baby brother in the swing. I'm a blessed momma. And that makes me cry, too.
Then we came home and I let my kids watch too much TV while I napped and rested my back and legs. (I am typically NOT a napper!)
My baby, who is really not a baby anymore, woke up from his nap grumpy and crying about everything and nothing (like his pregnant momma). I tried to take him for a walk (more of a waddle) around the block (the BLOCK, not the neighborhood) to distract him from his grumpiness and had to stop four times to catch my breath! Part of this was due to the Braxton Hicks contractions I kept having, I'm sure.
At bedtime, Titus asked me to read two more chapters in our book and I just couldn't do it tonight. I asked him if he would mind reading to himself in his bed. He was very disappointed, but he did it, and writing that makes me cry all over again.
When I prayed with Audra, she smothered The Belly and me with affection and giggles. I tucked in my sweet babies, who love me so unconditionally, and then collapsed into my chair and cried big, indulgent pregnant tears. Tears that cried out, "I feel so miserable. How can I do this every day for another month? I can't even function." Tears that cried out for my neglected home and children. Tears that expose my feelings of being unable to be a good mother right now.
And then I remembered something.
"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18
And I remembered something else:
"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10
And one more thing:
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship." Romans 12:1
And the powerful Truth of that brings me peace...and purpose.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
good stuff ashley.
Love your honesty. Soon you will be crying again but this time it will be tears of joy when you see that precious new baby. Yet another gift God is giving you!
So glad that you found those verses! How awesome God is that he speaks to us in the depth of our sadness and troubles.
Ashley, I am praying for you!!
I wish I lived closer. I'd come over and cook you whatever your favorite dinner is...and I'd cook your second favorite the next night.
Isn't it awesome that God treasures ALL your tears? He keeps track of every single one of them.
Psalm 56:8
"Record my lament; List my tears on your scroll--Are they not in your record?"
We will be praying for you intensely in the coming days. Hang in there! We love you.
Here's what Scott's "Dad" had to say when I directed him to your blog today: "I was concerned when I started reading this; but then I realized it was just like the Psalms David wrote. He too cried out to the Lord and ended up praising him." Good job, Ashley. The Lord IS/WILL BE your ever present help and strength. We love you!
Ashley, You are an amazing mommy, even on the hardest days. You are giving your children another sibling. I am praying for you.
I believe to say "I'm miserable" is a very Christian thing to say. It's the very thing Christ died for. To relieve pain and misery forever.
He is patient with me. He doesn't demand. He gives. If only I can receive and not fall into pride or self-pity. I think sometimes accepting our weakness is the first step in overcoming it in Christ's strength.
On a different note...one more week until 37. Hope the baby comes early!
Ashley----I do most of the things you wrote about feeling guilty about even when I'm not pregnant! (make my older kids play with the younger at the park, watch too much tv, leave dirty dishes in the sink for last night's dinner, go out to eat instead of making dinner) :)
I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Pregnancy is hard ... but thank God we get such a lovely gift at the end. Give yourself some grace (I mean, A LOT of Grace) for this last month.
Ashley,
Thank you for being so transparent and open about your pregnancy, such true humility is encouraging and I hope that God give you a physical release soon. Mercy, would be a beautiful and fitting name for this sweet little one and a constant reminder of God's Grace to get us through the difficult times.
May you find peace and comfort soon...love Marchelle
Post a Comment