Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4th

July 4th turned out to surprisingly fun for us. I didn't think I had much planned, but tried to come up with a couple of things to make it a fun holiday. It turned out much better than any of us expected and we had a great evening. Titus, Audra, and I spent the afternoon decorating their bike and scooter for our neighborhood's annual bike parade. It is the first year that we've participated--last year we were in Florida and the year before we just watched because the kids were still so little. Scott and I inadvertently ended up participating in the parade because Titus wanted Scott (with Justus in the stroller) to go with him and Audra was terrified (with good reason) that she was going to get plowed over by the bigger kids, so she wanted me right next to her. Here is a picture of Titus and Audra after the parade sporting their bikes:
Afterwards we went to a neighborhood block party. I was surprised when I got there that they really meant "block party". There were 5 neighbors that gave this party in the ally behind their houses. Everyone that attended brought a side, dessert, drinks, etc based on the first letter of their last name and they provided the meat. Check out this grill:
Cool, huh? Only in Arkansas. Woooo Pig Soooie!
The kids loved eating hot dogs and cupcakes. I promise that I really did try to get a good picture of all three of my kids in their matching July 4th outfits, but it obviously didn't work. Justus was way too focused on his cupcake...and then he spilled food all over the front of his shirt. At that point, I decided to forget it. Oh, well.

I attempted to face paint fireworks on Titus and Audra's faces just to be festive. It's the first time I've tried it and that is about as artistic as I get. I have friends that do so many creative crafts with their kids, but that is definitely not my strength. It's good for me to try, though.

One of the highlights of the evening for me was seeing a childhood friend that I've known since 8th grade, but hadn't seen since high school...except at my 10 year reunion. She was one of the "wildest" girls I knew growing up. She has become a Christian in the past year and completely quit drinking and partying at bars. She is the only Christian in her family now. It was so precious to listen to her heart and her story and see the radical change that knowing God has made in her life. It was like meeting someone I'd always known...but for the first time. It made me fall in love with the Lord all over again...that He pursues us, rescues us, and perseveres with a tenacity that our human hearts can't seem to survive. It reminds me of this song, which I've cried out many times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpcNHCTs7QI

Waiting for the fireworks felt like waiting for Christmas. Audra is usually in bed before 7:30, Justus at 7:45, then Titus at 8:00. The fireworks didn't start until it got dark at 9:00. The kids did well and kept themselves entertained by playing ping-pong with Scott. (One of the hosts brought their table outside!) I also learned that my husband is a really good ping-pong player and got 2nd in a ping-pong tournament in college to an Asian guy who stood 6 feet behind the table and shot curve balls at him the entire game. Scott knew all these ping-pong techniques and everything. Who knew?!?!?

The fireworks finally came and were worth the wait. Justus was terrified after the first ~*BANG*~ which worked out fine because I covered his ears and he hid his face in my chest then fell asleep. The fireworks show was AMAZING! I was so impressed! It was as good as any professional one I've seen (next to KBCO's at the University of Colorado football stadium). Apparently, one of the hosts has a good friend that sells professional fireworks shows and sold it to him at cost. It was awesome and lasted for 50 minutes!!!!

We went back home and it didn't take much for the kids to talk Scott into launching his own fireworks display. Scott loves Christmas and the 4th of July and he does a great fireworks show every year (even the time Titus and I watched it from inside his bedroom window because he was afraid of the loud screeches, bangs, and explosions. Safely inside his bedroom window, he squealed with delight at every one.) After the big fireworks, the kids had a great time with the sparklers. That's always my favorite part, too!

Happy 4th of July!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always had a ping pong table in the basement of our house on H street. I also love to play and always enter into competion at our Church family camp. I'm sure that Scott would beat the socks off me now.

I remember when we visited you at the Denver apartment around the 4th of July. We went across the street to that vacant lot and set off fireworks there: Chinese ground flowers and lots of sparklers. Titus clung to Grampa's leg!

The 4th of July is also one of my favorite holidays. We loved loading the little red wagon with sleeping bags, snacks and pop and walking the kids down to Ft Vancouver (which was only 5 blocks away) to watch the greatest fireworks show west of the Mississippi. It was/is timed to music played simultaneously on KGON. The kids played frisbee while we watched people or played cribbage. When the 45 min fireworks show was over, we walked home in the dark. We didn't need a flashlight because the crowd moved us along. It was sort of like being on a conveyor belt...when we would see the silouette head in front of us rise, we knew a curb was there and stepped appropriately.

One year, Scott, Tony and Sara went over to the Fort the next day and gathered several huge black garbage sacks full of pop cans. The Rangers on duty sat back and watched them do the collecting and then informed them that it was illegal for them to remove anything from Federal property. They all came home sputtering mad!

Brian said...

Great Pictures!!!!!!

Brian said...

Great Pictures

Ashley said...

Sandy,

Now I see why Scott has always loved the 4th of July so much! It was so fun to hear your side of the story. Every year he recounts going to Ft. Vancouver and tells me, "Ft. Vancouver has the biggest fireworks show west of the Mississippi." I loved hearing the same words out of your mouth and made me smile to think of this fun tradition that you created in his childhood. Thank you. He obviously still loves Christmas and 4th of July...and now I know that it is just like you.

Megan said...

Looks like a full, fun day! Your kiddos are SO cute!!

Renae Burt said...

wow..did you take those pics..they are awesome!
-Renae