Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sweet Mint Tea

Sweet Tea always reminds me of visiting my grandmother in Texas and I LOVE it! I'm a loyal Southern girl! Now that I think about it, my other grandmother in Louisiana typically served Coke in frozen metal cups. That was fun, too!

So, here's my Sweet Tea recipe made with a hint of mint....

Bring fresh, cold water to a rolling boil in a pan.
Fully submerge 2 Luzianne Family Tea Bags and 2 Plantation Mint (single serving) tea bags.
Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
Squeeze excess out of tea bags and remove.
Pour in 1/4 cup of sugar. (My grandmother probably used a full cup of sugar. Use whatever sweetener you prefer: Stevia, Splenda, or Sweet n Low.)
Pour into container and add enough cold water to make it total 2 quarts.
You can float fresh mint leaves on top if you are having guests or just for fun!

I try to keep tea in the fridge and was making some this morning, so I thought you might like the recipe.

5 comments:

stephy said...

Thank you for this! I miss sweet tea, getting it anywhere in the south, they don't have it up here! I'm going to link this to my recipes blog if you don't mind. My mom always made a simple syrup to dissolve in the tea...good memories.

Sara Neufeld said...

LOVE some sweet tea! I don't ever remember a time growing up that we didn't have sweet tea in the fridge.

And, yeah, I use almost a full cup of sugar! So bad, but so good! :)

Ashley said...

I know. When we lived in Colorado the only place that served Sweet Tea was Cracker Barrel. We'd eat there just so I could have Sweet Tea! :) Here they have it at 95% of the restaurants! I ordered nothing but for the first year we lived here. I couldn't get enough of it!

Ashley said...

So, I just asked my friend Jill and she uses 5 family size tea bags and steeps it covered for 30 minutes for a stronger flavor. I'm going to try that next time.

Meredith said...

Hey Ashley,
It's Meredith (Mills) Bramlett--we went to high school together way back when. I linked to your blog from Amber Haines and just wanted to say hi. Your kids are precious!
--Meredith