Thursday, October 18, 2007

Speechless


Becky Lee with her mom, Joy, and daughter, Elsa.

There are times when God leaves me speechless. (Oh, hush! I know you are thinking, "When was that?" I'm sure there was a time...once.) There are other times when He does something so mind-blowing that I could make an absolute fool out of myself telling anyone and everyone who will listen. Well, this is one of those times. (Psalm 47:1-8) A couple years ago, I heard Beth Moore say, "When He descends upon us, God forbid that we not shout for joy...I believe the more we clap, the more inclined our Lord is to come in with an encore!" Well, friends, God forbid that I not shout for joy! He truly is our Present Help, our Coming King, our Rescuer, our Fulfiller, our Hope, our Comfort, and He is just SO EXTRAVAGANT...in the way that he pursues us, forgives us, and loves us.

Ironically enough I've written and deleted three different paragraphs to follow the preceding one. Maybe, I am speechless. None of my words have seemed adequate. I guess the important thing is what I wrote above. The other important thing is that God brought a childhood friend back into my life 6 weeks ago. Through her, God is building my faith. I have observed God orchestrate SO MANY incredible details in order to love her, provide for her, and prove himself to her. One of the MANY ways that God has done this is that my friend, Becky Lee (above), offered to organize a Garage Sale in order to raise money to help her pay her bills during her unpaid maternity leave coming up. We emailed friends from church and Bible Study, who donated their time and belongings. It was an enormous labor of love especially for Becky and her Mom, who flew in from California to help. The two of them hardly slept for four days as they organized, priced, and sold all of the donated items. She is the real deal. When a person truly "gets" what God has done for her, she wants to give it away. Whatever the cost. It's worth it. THAT is authenticity; THAT is so rare and attractive. Oh, by the way, that little labor of love earned $3,000! Yes, you read it correctly: $3,000!!! I'm sure there are some people out there who could have effortlessly written a $3,000 check for my friend...but it would never have touched as many lives as this community effort did...and I doubt we all would have felt God descending upon us the way that we did. There are so many other details, but that is the important one. God forbid that we take it for granted. God forbid that I not shout for joy!!!

Thank you, also, to the many other friends who gave valuable belongings and time to help provide for my friend. I am so grateful to you.

No comments: