Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Carving Pumpkins




"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-16

This verse has been my theme for our family this year for Halloween. It is actually referring to Jesus, but it is my hope that our home has been a light in the darkness of Halloween this year.

Titus has been asking to carve a jack-o-lantern since we got those pumpkin patch books from the library. We've never made one before because I don't like the scary faces and usually I just put out lots of pumpkins from the pumpkin patch for Fall. Titus really wanted a jack-o-lantern with a scary face to "chase the bandits away". Thankfully, I found a book (The Pumpkin Patch Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs) that tells a sweet story about a farmer's pumpkin becoming a jack-o-lantern. She compares it to how God's transforming love can fill each of our hearts with joy and light. In the end when people saw the smiling pumpkin, it caused them to smile back.

Titus seemed satisfied with that and agreed to make a jack-o-lantern with a happy face. After Halloween, Titus asked me, "Mommy, did the kids smile when they saw our pumpkin?" I bet they did.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Great pumpkin face, Titus! We have that same book at our house. :) Kristin

Ashley said...

I must say these updates add such joooooy to my day. Every picture and story are my favorites. What a great way to share Jesus with your friends and family. I am blessed to know you as a young woman, my daughter.

Love,
Mother/Mimi

Christy Murphy said...

I love your happy jack-o-lantern. :)