On Friday, Scott worked a half day and then we headed down to Devil's Den to take the kids hiking. Despite its unfortunate name, this really is one of the best hiking trails in "The Natural State." Titus' comment during the hike was, "This is hopefully the happiest day of the year!" In the picture above we are all standing down in the mouth of a cave called, Devil's Icebox. It was about 20 degrees cooler in there than it was outside and we could feel a cool breeze rising from deep inside the mountain!
This is a picture of Audra climbing around on the rocks. Scott and Titus were inside the other cave called Devil's Den Cave. Originally, Audra went in with the boys but she slipped and landed in the mud when she was about 15 feet in. That was the end of her splunking adventure; she decided to come wait outside with Justus and me.
On a side note, the last time I went in that cave was when I was in junior high and my brother took me there with a bunch of his college friends. (We went at night and I was terrified, but didn't want anyone to know. If I remember correctly, I think we saw bats.) For the record, I have the best big brother on the planet. How many college guys would take their baby sister caving? (I'm 7 years younger.) He also took me to a Kool and the Gang concert with his friends (and we danced togther all night on the front row) AND he coached my softball and basketball teams for two years!!! All of this was when he was in college and I was in 6th and 7th grade! Can you believe that?!?! It is because of him that I really wanted to have a boy first because I thought every little girl should have a big brother! I love you, Richard, and feel so privileged to be your little sister!
I let Justus get out and climb around while the boys were in the cave, too! Look at my little rock climber!
We came. We saw. We conquered the cave! Titus is flexing his splunking muscle! On the way home, Titus said, "That was a GREAT underground adventure!"
Justus is worn out from his strenuous hike!
For those of you who live in this area, I highly recommend taking your kids. It is so beautiful! There are also two waterfalls, but they are just trickling this time of year. Don't forget water bottles, flashlights for the caves, and clothes you don't mind getting muddy. (Parts of the caves are narrow and muddy.) I would also recommend taking a lunch or snack so you can sit down and take a break half way through. My kids were pretty tired by the very end...but it was so worth it!
2 comments:
I love it that you only identified my better moments in our growing up years! There are many more stories that would discourage people from having boys at all!!! Do you remember me firing a ball across the infield to your teammate at first base who caught the ball with her forehead? I was terrified!
ps. If your friends remember Kool & The Gang you are getting old!
pps. Do you remember that Pop died the day of the concert and Mom & Dad didn't tell us until afterward because they didn't want to ruin it for us? We left for Texas late that night.
Love you little sis,
Richard
Camping at Devil's den is also fun. We took the boys 2 weekends ago for 2 nights and we all had a great time (it was our first time taking either of them camping).
Post a Comment