Sunday, January 13, 2008

Books for 2008?

I'm taking a poll to find out what books you recommend for 2008. I decided that rather than making any "New Year's Resolutions" that I would start the year by reading "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper and "Just Walk Across The Room" by Bill Hybells and go from there. I don't typically have a lot of reading time, but I've been trying to do it for 15-30 minutes at night before I go to sleep. (Half the time I'm asleep within 5 minutes, but it is a start.) I'm fascinated and challenged by what I've read so far in Hybells' book--more on that later. I also read the first several chapters of "Three Weeks With My Brother" on the way to and from my parents' house for Christmas--more on that later, too. At any rate, I know many of you are avid readers, intentional readers, or are in book clubs, so I want to hear your suggestions on good reads for 2008. Just click on "O Comments" below and you can leave a comment.

8 comments:

Brian said...

Living Above The Level of Mediocrity - Charles Swindoll

I read this one every year.....Brian

Ashley said...

From my Aunt Sydney: I am currently reading "Margin" by Richard Swenson, M.D. and "The Faith" by Charles Colson. "Margin" addresses restoration of emotional, physical, financial, and time reserves to overloaded lives. It is an easy read with practical, do-able suggestions. "The Faith" addresses what Christians believe, why they
believe it, and why it matters particularly in light of the attack on our faith by both secular humanism and radical Islam. It is very in-depth, intense material. I consider both of these books "must read" volumes for me personally at this point of my life.

Laurel said...

I get the impression you are looking for suggestions for serious books. My brain can't take serious books by the time the kids are in bed, but if you're ever looking for some novel recommendations, I'm a pretty avid novel-reader.

Ashley said...

Laurel,

No, way! I'm not just looking for serious stuff! I'd love any kind of good book recommendations. In the slim chance that I have time to read fiction, I'd like to know what is worth reading.

Anonymous said...

Serious book: Grace based parenting by Kimmel. Really impressed upon me the truer nature of God and how to better encourage my kids.

Favorite novel series: The Mark of the Lion by Francine Rivers. Facinating and Fun it is historical fiction set in the time of Christ.

Beth said...

Hi Ashley,
Thanks for including me in your blog list!
I am planning to start the year reading Running Scared; fear, worry, and the God of rest by Edward Welch. I haven't started it yet, but it came highly recommended.

Laurel said...

Two non-fiction books I have enjoyed recently:

A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini

The unknown errors of our lives by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (a collection of short stories)

Jen said...

The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
I just finished reading it, and I really liked it for reasons that will quickly become obvious
Jen