A couple days ago as we were changing the water in our little acquarium, I asked the kids to make some "observations" about the tadpoles. Here is what Titus observed:
1) They have two eyes.
2) They are brown.
3) "They are red on the bottom...kindof like a diaper rash."
LOL! Isn't that hysterical?!?! But he is right. ;)
I am feeling sad tonight because I think we are about to lose one of our tadpoles. I've been a little concerned about him for a week or so because the other three have really thrived and grown and he is about half their size now. I thought he was probably just the runt and would eventually catch up, but today he's floating upside down and not moving very much. Those aren't good signs. Their skin is transparent and his "belly" looks kindof like it is full of air bubbles or something. I called Petco tonight to see if they had any suggestions and to see if I was doing something wrong. (I've really been trying to follow all the instructions.) He said that he's probably not going to live and it sounds like he's just a "bad tadpole" and that some just don't make it. :( He encouraged me that it sounds like I've been doing everything right...feeding them three times a week, changing the water once a week, etc. I still feel sad, though, that I couldn't keep him alive. This thought crossed my mind tonight, "What will I do with him when he dies?" It seems a little inhumane to throw him in the trash...or to flush him down the toilet with sewage. What do you do with a dead tadpole?
(Why does this bother me, but it doesn't bother me to throw chicken bones in the trash when I'm cooking?)
I could never be a hunter or a fisherman, I've decided. Even the thought of "throwing a fish back" seems cruel to me after you've put a gaping hole in his cheek. Hunting animals for sport just seems a little cruel. I guess I'm a product of the Bambi generation. Scott asked me if that meant I wasn't going to eat meat anymore. I understand his point, but he doesn't hunt or fish, either...so I think he secretly agrees.
Sorry for the morbid post. On a lighter note, the other three are doing well and growing so big! We're having fun watching them grow. I think it would be fascinating to get a microscope and make closer observations.
DON'T FORGET to read the next post and suggest a good book for 2008!
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sorry about the tadpole!!
How's your dishwasher doing?? :(
Sara,
Are you talking about the broken garbage disposal? Well...it's broken! :(
Post a Comment