Friday, November 16, 2007

Operation Christmas Child


This is a picture of Titus and Audra delivering our Operation Christmas Child "shoeboxes" today. Samaritan's Purse, under the leadership of Franklin Graham, is one of my favorite ministries to support (www.samaritanspurse.org). We sent four boxes: two for girls Audra's age and two for boys Titus' age. The entire way to deliver them, Audra snuggled with one of the stuffed puppies and said she was giving it to "Erin". I guess that is what she imagined the girl would be named. I was amazed at what a good job she did giving it up to put in the box and take inside.

On Tuesday, I showed the kids an Operation Christmas Child video online to try to give them a better understanding of what we were doing. Then I made a lofty attempt to take all three of my children shopping in the toy section of Target, without buying anything for them. It reminded me of why I don't do this! :) I can no longer fit all of my kids in one cart, so I put Justus and Audra in mine and let Titus push his own cart. It was a sight! My baby Houdini kept getting out of his seatbelt and trying to stand up, Audra wanted to reach out and hold every stuffed animal, and Titus' new-found freedom (in the toy section) may have been a bit much for him. It was all I could do to keep him next to me and not distracted by all of the toys. I could have used about three more appendages...and two more doses of patience.

As soon as we picked out our first item to go in the boxes, Audra desperately needed to use the potty...which is on the opposite side of the store. They don't allow carts in the bathroom, so I had to attempt to hold Justus with one arm and help Audra with the other. By that time, it was time to leave so we could get to dinner at a friend's house on the opposite side of Fayetetteville. Ok, so the shopping trip wasn't completely productive, but I think the kids got the idea and Audra got to pick out stuffed animals for the girls.

Titus wanted to know if these children were like the little boy on Polar Express. Wow! I am amazed that he made that connection and remembers that detail of the movie from a year ago.

I enjoyed going back (by myself) and picking out items for the boxes: toothbrush, toothpaste, hand wipes, gum, crayons, rubber balls, balloons, flashlight with exra batteries, socks, musical instruments, a stuffed puppy and play jewelry (for the girls), and a monster truck (for the boys). I also included a letter from our family and prayed for each child as I packed the boxes. I hope they are a blessing to them and that each box will deliver the message that God cares for them and that they can trust Him to provide.

No comments: