Saturday, March 22, 2008

3rd Annual Family Work Day

Two years ago my family started a new tradition. We began to realize that Mom and Dad (a.k.a Mimi and Gramps) have reached an age where doing labor-intensive yard work is very difficult for them. We probably should have realized it sooner. Mom and Dad are both such sacrificial parents and have served us all so much over the years that our "Family Work Day" is finally giving us a practical way to serve them. The first year we did a complete overhaul of their flowerbeds including cleaning out weeds & leaves, tearing out old plastic weed barrier, putting in all new cloth weed barrier, mulching, creating rock borders, tilling a few new beds & the vegetable garden, etc. Since then, it is mostly maintenance: raking leaves, cleaning out the flowerbeds, mulching, and getting the yard ready for Summer. It models our love for family and serving one another to our kids and gives us an excuse to spend a day together. Seriously, my family can make anything FUN!
Lauren trimming the lariope.
Ryan giving Titus a ride while he mows the lawn. I really admire the way that Richard and Jennifer have taught their children to work hard and experience joy in serving others. I've seen it many times over the years.
Scott and Richard taking leaves, branches, and the Christmas Tree to one of the burn piles. We hadn't seen Scott for 6 days because he was on a business trip to visit a client in Florida. We were SO happy to be together again!
"Mommy, look I found a flower! Flowers, flowers EVERYWHERE!!!"
I found a little lizard while Scott & I were cleaning the leaves out of Mimi's rose garden. When I showed the kids, Titus said, "Whoa! I've never seen one of those before!" I told him he could get closer and he quickly replied, "No, thanks. I don't want to scare him. Lizards are afraid of people, you know."
Scott and Richard managing the other burn pile. The smell of a burn pile always reminds me of being at my grandmother's farm in Louisiana as a child. It was something that we weren't allowed to do living in the "city" limits at home, so it was such a novelty...that and sitting on my great-grandmother's porch "down the turn row" and snapping beans on her screened-in front porch every summer. Going to my grandmother's farm always felt like going back in time to a magical place. My great-grandmother had this enchanted garden that was covered in a canopy of old trees (the best climbing trees I've ever seen) and she still had her outhouse in the backyard. It hadn't been used in years, but the idea of it sent my young mind spinning!
Titus and Audra fascinated by the fire...but staying a safe distance per Mommy's orders.
Erin stayed inside and helped Mimi with the little ones most of the time we were working. She choreographed a show for Audra and Sheridan to perform for us. Adorable!
My brother also turned 40 on Saturday! He had lost 30 pounds since Thanksgiving and has been unbelievably disciplined with his diet and exercise. (He and Jennifer have been waking up to go work out at 5:00 almost every morning.) The only thing he asked for as a birthday present was Texas sheet cake and Haagen-Dazs chocolate ice cream! He also made up a new birthday song for himself: a groovin' "ice cream and cake and cake." Here are the cousins indulging him by dancing a little jig to his new song!!! He also informed Audra that from now on she could call him "Uncle Ice Cream." I have a feeling it's going to stick!
Richard lovin' every bite! After opening presents, we had so much fun telling our favorite memories of Richard growing up. Happy Birthday, Richard!
Easter Egg Hunt! Mimi bought eggs and Easter baskets and had the big kids hide eggs for the little kids. They loved it! Justus kept calling the eggs "balls" and throwing them!
Just too cute not to include. Aunt Rhea Lana and Justus enjoying a moment together. I think she was slipping him some Easter candy.
The big kids blowing bubbles for the little kids. Oh, how my kids adore their cousins. Apparently, the older girls told Audra that she was growing up and that her hair was getting longer because she's been talking about it everyday since then.
More bubbles.

Ok, this was probably the funniest moment of the day. As we were wrapping up the day, a few of us were visiting out on the front porch. Scott and Justus started playing this game and Justus would clench his fists and tighten up his whole body until his face turned pink and he was shaking (like he was really constipated). Then he would explode into this loud, "DAH!" We all (including Justus) laughed so hysterically that he entertained us by doing it over and over for 15 minutes. I'm surprised he didn't pass out!
"DAH!"

Last picture, I promise. Jennifer (Richard's wife) painted this for my Mom for Christmas. It was inspired by a gorgeous vase that she also gave her. Mom asked Jason (in the middle... their handyman who has become a family friend) to come over and build a frame for it. Didn't it turn out beautifully??? My photo really didn't do it justice. I can't wait to see it hanging over the mantle in the sun room! What a precious gift!

To my big family...I love you and am so thankful Mom & Dad didn't stop with two.

4 comments:

Sara Neufeld said...

That looks so fun! Justus is SOOO cute!! :)

Ashley said...

From Mimi: Your blog entry of Family Work Day is amazing. I am more than grateful for the precious memories you have of my childhood home and life with Gaga, Mother and Dad, as well as my siblings.

What happened to the cute picture of you and Richard that I took? I was disappointed that you were not on the blog. This family day was your idea, as I recall.

Brian said...

Like the new design!

MomsTheWord said...

I LOVE the new design!

AND...I love being part of your family. Thanks for loving me and making me sound so talented and creative! :)
Love, Jen