Tuesday, March 18, 2008

American Idol Results

America, would you please put Kristy Lee Cook out of her misery and vote her off the show already??? It drives me crazy that she has been the obvious worst one for several weeks and she keeps squeaking by while more talented entertainers are leaving. She is pretty and sweet, but she looks so uncomfortable up on that stage...I feel bad for her. (I think she secretly would've been a little relieved to have been voted off tonight.) I cannot believe that Amanda Obermeyer was voted off before her or Ramiel. Listen to me! I sound so critical. Like I could get up there and do what they are doing...but, "Hey, it's just an opinion."

One thing I noticed tonight as Titus and I watched the results show together was that Titus is becoming a very independent thinker. He has decided that Chickezie is his favorite. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. He will watch each of them and state within a few seconds, "Oh, that is beautiful" or "Ooh, that doesn't sound very good, does it?" (He said that about Amanda Obermeyer this week, so maybe he actually understands more than I do. He also commented that her hair looks like Cruella Deville. Also true.) I'm still sad to see her go this early. She's not in my top 5, but I think she's a great entertainer.

Back to Titus...he seemed fascinated by the musicians tonight and observed, "Oh, Mommy, I see how that works now!" That must be why I caught him playing air guitar in the mirror at Gap Kids last week. Pretty hilarious!

I'm realizing now that he has been developing this character trait of being an independent thinker for some time. During football season, he would pick his own team that he liked and cheer for them (often based on color or mascot), even if it was against Daddy's team. That is pretty surprising considering how much he adores Scott.

To Titus:
Son, an excitement rises up in me as I see you developing your own ideas and opinions at such an early age...unswayed by those you seek to impress. I see the foreshadowing of a young man who is not afraid to be independent, who will have the courage to be a leader, who will do what is right even those around you tempt you to do otherwise. I love the little boy that you are; I look forward to knowing you as a man. I am enormously grateful that God would trust you to my care. It is a privilege to be your mother.
Love,
me.

So...all that being said...I wonder if watching American Idol would qualify under the "Don't Waste Your Life" I began reading in January. I should probably pick it back up and finish it. Hmm. Maybe, I'll wait until the season is over. :)

Now that I think about it, I think the reason that so many people love to watch American Idol is that it like watching the "American Dream" televised. I love to watch it when I can. It is the only TV show I've watched regularly since they took The Cosby Show off the air. I really don't like TV and typically consider it a waste of time, but I love this show. I think each of us can connect with normal people just like us (okay...like me, but with way more talent) who take a risk and make themselves so vulnerable in order to pursue their passion. So, what do you think? Is it a waste of time?

(Sorry this was such a rambling, disorganized post. It was very "stream of consciousness.")

3 comments:

Bryan Riley said...

Tara identifies with your statement about Cosby and AI, except we have had a few shows along the way that we try to catch.

Being in England we can't watch the shows live, but we have foudn that it is better to just watch the videos over the internet because we miss all the corny advertisements and statements.

We weren't sad to see Amanda go, but you are so right on about Kristy. Chikezie is most improved, but I don't think he should win. Castro's not the best, by far, but we like watching him. I keep thinking he might have been a YWAM kid.

I think David Cook is the most talented; I like the blonde folk singer the best; Archuletta is very good and sweet, particularly for his age - i keep thinking Donnie Osmond. The aussie is good, too, but his confidence is nothing like David Cook's. Interestingly, although the judge's didn't like Blackbird by the Irish maiden, I thought it was phenomenal.

Anyway... we keep with AI even while overseas. It's always fun to watch.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only 30-something-yr-old mom who is obsessed with American Idol! I hate the wait from Wednesday until Tuesday to see some more! :) One more day! Poor Kristy--I like her and keep hoping she'll get better. I'm glad she made the tour. Brooke and David A. and David C. are my faves!

Marissa

Ashley said...

Those are my three favorite finalists, too. I loved Michael Johns during Hollywood week, as well. I wish he would bust out and do something incredible. He's just been a bit boring since then (compared to the others). I like Carly Smithson from Scottland, too. Oh, and the guy with dreds...dreamy eyes...sweet, unassuming presonality. He reminds me of Boulder. Actually, I like most of them that are left. I'm just not that crazy about Kristy Lee Cook or Ramiel.