Monday, April 14, 2008

A New Friend

Audra's new favorite thing to do is meeting new people. The warm weather is working in her favor because there is usually a neighbor outside when we are. Her favorite new friend is Jordan. He's lived across the street for over 2 years, but she has just discovered him. He graduated from Har-Ber High School last year and works at the neighborhood grocery store in the mornings. He is often home in the afternoon and evening and likes to listen to music out on his swing. Audra loves to sit on his swing with him and chat while I work in the front flower beds. Jordan has Downs Syndrome and is very patient with her. He mainly just listens and answers her questions, which works out great for Audra. When he gets tired of it, he just goes back inside and she bops back home. Every time she notices him out on his swing, she begs to go outside and talk to him.
Here is the Dogwood tree in Jordan's yard. Dogwoods are one of my favorite trees. I've loved them since I was a little girl. It's probably because my mom loves them and would always point them out to me. They grow wild all over Northwest Arkansas. I have found myself saying over and over to the kids this week as we drive, "Look at the Dogwoods! See the beautiful trees with the white blooms?" I'm becoming my mother.
A couple days later I discovered this hot pink Dogwood in a neighbor's yard. Isn't it gorgeous? I don't think I've ever seen one before. There is something about Spring that awakens my hibernating senses. I just love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure where they are or how ones does it...but I KNOW there are sites that pay money for pictures like these. Writers go there looking for illustrations for books and book covers. You have "an eye" for balance and beauty. I really enjoy your blog entries...no pressure; but I actually have a daily need for "fixes" on our grandchildren and their parents. Smile