Saturday, May 3, 2008

FLORIDA!!!

We just spent the most fun week at the beach! My parents rented this house in Carillon Beach for 7 days. It was much nicer than anything I would have imagined. They completely outdid themselves and we are so grateful for their generosity and love for all of us. We had never been to Carillon Beach, but we loved it! It is in between Seaside and Panama City. It is a private beach and the WONDERFUL thing about going this time of year is that it is off-season so it is much less expensive and we were the ONLY ones on the beach most of the week. As a mom, I was able to relax rather than try to keep two eyeballs on three kids in a crowd of bodies. I highly recommend going in May before school is out if you can swing it.
We arrived on Sunday afternoon, examined the house like giggling children on a treasure hunt, then raced off to the beach (without my camera). I think I may have taken some video, though. (Thank you, Scott, for our new video camera.) These pictures were taken the following morning after race #2 to the beach. It is so fun to watch children at the beach. They can spend hours chasing the waves in and out of the sand, pouring water, shoveling, looking for sea shells (Audra's favorite), and chasing birds (Justus' favorite). I just loved being outside, watching my children play whole-heartedly, and enjoying God's goodness in this moment.

Gramps took the kids out into the water so they could play in the waves. They both CLUNG to him, but loved the thrill of it! You may have to click on the above picture to enlarge it and fully enjoy the expression on Titus' face! Right after this we saw a school of 5-6 dolphins swim by. We went home for lunch, put Justus down for his nap, then Mom and I took Titus and Audra to the pool.

On Tuesday, we spent most of the day in Seaside. I had never been there before, but had heard that it is a unique, charming beach town. It is. We wandered through the little shops and had a delicious lunch at a restaurant with a beautiful view...

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for this wonderful vacation! Don't they look great? They've been married for 45 years! Yes, that makes my Mother 66. It's not fair, is it?

Top it off with a little ice cream. mmm. Then we headed back home for naps and more beach or pool. I can't remember which, but they were both great.
We spent Wednesday morning playing at the beach again and counting down the minutes to the arrival of "the cousins."
Audra and Justus both loved playing with this watering can.
Titus wandered off about 25 feet from us and spent over an hour playing my himself in the sand. I think it was really good for him to have the peace and quiet of time alone. I think he mainly made up battles between Star Wars Storm Troupers in the sand. I marveled as I watched him from a distance.

We had lunch, naps, and ....(drum roll, please)...THE COUSINS ARRIVED!!!

Audra and Sheridan
I LOVE this picture. It is three generations of Rogers men: Richard Lee Rogers (Dad), Richard Lee Rogers Jr. (brother), and Ryan Lee Rogers (nephew). You have to click on it to enlarge it so you can see them belly-laughing together in the ocean.
Erin helping Audra build a sand castle. My job got about 75% easier when my brother's family arrived. His kids are so trust-worthy, kind, and are happy to play with my kids. It is such a blessing to me!
Digging a huge well and burying cousins. Then we headed home to take showers, eat dinner, sleep, and do it all over again!
Thursday morning fun.
Even Uncle Richard let the kids bury him! Later that afternoon, Jennifer (my brother's wife) and I got the special treat of spending a couple of afternoon hours by ourselves at the beach while the kids went to the pool. I enjoy and admire her so much.
So, we may have overdone the sun a little yesterday (minus my kids who nearly drowned in the 50+ sunscreen that I put on them each morning.) We decided to give our skin a little rest. (My legs are peeling as I type.) We had a lazy morning playing games...then took off for the go-cart track! What would a Rogers family gathering be without a little competition?
The above picture is right after I nearly took-out my niece for trying to pass me. I laughed when I got out that I may not be as athletic, but I'm definitely as competitive as the rest of the family! (yes, that's Audra crouched in the corner of my go-cart. She looked terrified, but kept asking to ride again.) We also rode go-carts on a two-story track, the guys plus Jennifer raced on a speedway, and we rode bumper boats. I was the unfortunate target of my husband and Audra was my unfortunate passenger. That's never a good spot. He has killer aim and we got soaked. The highlight of the day, however, may have been watching Titus and Sheridan get to drive their own cars and race each other. Sheridan started the race by turning left and driving the wrong direction down the track. The entire race was hilarious...but Titus took it very seriously.

Justus was exhausted from all of his hard work at the beach. He snored through our squeals and revving engines.

Saturday was our last full day and the weather was a little overcast and stormy. We did get a few hours of play time in before the storm came...
Scott built the kids a fort...their favorite part was destroying it! Our last day at the pool...

Here's the whole crew one evening during a walk on the beach! We have some more posed pictures, but this one is my favorite with all of us laughing...
Thank you, Mom and Dad, for being so generous with your finances and your lives. I know my "three-ring circus" is exhausting. I'm grateful that you think we are worth it. I will spend my life thanking God for putting me in this family.

6 comments:

MomsTheWord said...

Life is never dull in the Rogers family! Your picture account is wonderful, I enjoyed the memories all over again!

Anonymous said...

I always love to see the pictures and read about your grateful heart. Dad

Brian said...

Very cool! It is all about the memories!!!

JETSMom said...

Ashley,
It was fun to see the pictures from your vacation! Sounds like a wonderful week! I love the last family picture! You look so much like your mom and your brother looks so much like your dad in this picture. Please tell your parents hello for me! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!
Jeanette

stephy said...

Looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ashley!
I love the Florida pics. I actually recognize the seats in one of the restaurants as one that I always go to with my mom-in-law and sis-in-law when we head down to the Seaside strip (and Carillon Beach is just beautiful!!) I'm so glad that you guys had a restful, blessed trip. :) -Karen G.