Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fire Station No.1

Have you ever toured a fire station? I highly recommend it. My friend, Melanie, organized a tour of Fayetteville's Fire Station No. 1 for several of us and our kids. It was really one of the best tours I've been on.
Here we are down in the garage with the fire trucks. The firemen were showing the kids how they get dressed in their full gear for a fire. He even let each of the kids come up and hold his helmet...or try. That thing is SO heavy! Once the alarm sounds the firemen have 60 seconds to get downstairs, dressed, and in the truck!
Here is in his full gear. The reason they do this for the kids is so that if a child is ever trapped in a fire, he will not be afraid of the fireman and will realize that there is a man inside. In the picture above they were having the kids practice what would happen in case of a fire. He got on his knees and said, "Fire Department, is anybody in here?" (Which sounded a little like Darth Vadar through that helmet.) They were having the kids practice waving their hands and call out to him, "I'm right here." Something about the possibility of that moment made me get a little teary...but it also made me so thankful for our firemen. After that, the kids each went up to touch him and "give him 5."
Aidan, Audra, Titus, and Carson inside the ladder truck! After this we got to go upstairs and see their living quarters. These firemen work 24 hours on and 48 hours off, so there is a room with about 15 beds and closets. There is also a work-out room, a large kitchen, a TV room with recliners and a ping pong table, and a training room. They have also preserved many historical artifacts that are displayed along the walls. While we were in the training room Sparky, the dalmatian, showed all the kids how he can crawl under fire, touch doors to see if they are hot, play dead, and even "stop, drop, and roll." The kids, especially Justus, loved Sparky! He spent most of the tour giggling and squealing at him.

To conclude our tour, we went back downstairs and the firemen showed us how they slide down the pole. I had no idea that they still do that. I suppose it is still the fastest way down to the truck. Then they gave the kids sticker badges, fire hats, and workbooks. We had such a great time. Thank you, Melanie, for inviting us.
Titus, Audra, and Justus. (Justus was too fascinated by his sticker to look at the camera.) I tried several times, but this was the best one I could get.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

We did Benji's 3rd birthday party there. Well, we did the tour there and then headed back to our house for cake and fun. Benji was, and is, obsessed with fire trucks, so it was a fun experience. Glad you guys had a good time too.

Anonymous said...

Oh...There are days I really do miss teaching. For over 10 years, our first grade classes had the fireman come to the school to show us what the fireman looked like in their full gear. (Kids have been known to hide when they see the "monsters" with the Darth Vader voices so I am glad my grandchildren have been educated!)After the assembly, each class took a turn and we all climbed the ladder on the back of the firetruck, sat down astraddle the coiled firehoses and took a ride around town. (This can only happen in SMALL towns!) What a thrill to sit up so high, with the wind blowing on our faces! (Some trips were downright cold!)When I taught second grade, we went to the firestation for "the tour." They had a firepole from the original building that had been shortened so it was only about 12 feet tall. We climbed up a staircase and then they showed us how to wrap our legs around it and slide down the pole. Yes. I did it every year and it was NEVER as thrilling as the ride on top of the firetruck.
One time on the way to school, my car pool buddy and I had car trouble. I know...woman are NEVER supposed to accept rides from strangers; but the gentleman that offered us a ride was driving his 1920 shiney restored firetruck so we figured we were pretty safe. Another thrill! To be delivered to the front door of the school in such style.
Thanks for reminding me of fun days teaching!