We've spent almost every evening this week at T-ball practice, which has actually been a lot of fun. Titus and Scott practiced out in the field with the team and Justus, Audra, and I sat on the sideline with the other families watching, eating snacks, and meeting new friends. Scott stayed by Titus' side the entire time explaining what was going on, teaching him how to stop grounders, instructing him on how to hold his bat correctly, etc. I loved watching Scott patiently teach Titus, especially because we realized after the first practice that all but one of the other boys on the team played t-ball last year and are a year older than Titus. Scott played baseball for 16 years growing up and has a genuine love of the game. I know he doesn't want to put any pressure on Titus or "live through him", but I can tell that he quietly loves being out there with Titus.
This morning, Titus had his very first game. I asked him afterwards if he had fun and he answered, "That was really pretty great!" Titus' favorite part of t-ball is batting. Here he is at his first "at bat." He hit a single and when he got to first base, he cheered and pumped his arms up in the air! It was so cute! (Are you allowed to say that about baseball?)

And this was my favorite part of the day...

Scott stood out there next to Titus the entire time he was in the field. (They allowed a couple of the coaches to stand out there with the boys to help them understand what was going on.) As I look at this picture, I can't help but think, "Isn't that what every little boy longs for in a Dad?" A Dad who isn't distant, but one who will stand right there with you in life and show you what to do, who will whisper what is coming next, who will cheer for you when you do well, and say, "Hey man, try again. The Shavers don't quit," when you get thrown out. A Dad who loves you so much that he'll give you his undivided attention...and genuinely love every minute of it. A Dad who has never missed a practice or a game. A Dad who speaks about destiny...and means it. It is a profound thing, really.
I can't help but think that one day it will be easy for this little boy to receive love from his Heavenly Father because of the love he receives from his own Father. In a world of absent or distant fathers, it is a rare and precious thing.
2 comments:
the one of him and scott made me cry....ashley, God is amazing.:) love you girl.
What an amazing picture of my son and grandson. God is so good to instill in Scott what he yearned for growing up. I know Keith stood by him, but we all know; he probably wasn't quietly standing there. He did show Scott how not to give up,"commitment" and a love of sports that Scott is obviously passing on. Like Karalaney said "It made me cry." God is so GOOD! Blessings on you for passing on these incredible pictures. I love you for so many reasons; but especially because this blog heeps me in the loop!
Post a Comment